Licensing & Permitting



To better understand the permitting required for beginning a business, we suggest you take a look at the Permitting information listed under the Planning Department.  Click here for that information.

Iredell County also has information on what is required for starting a business.  To get information from the Iredell Planning & Development Department, click here.

Interested in starting a business downtown?  The Downtown Statesville Development Corporation can assist you in various ways.  For more information, click here.

Mitchell Community College provides a small business center.  To find out how MCC can help you, click here.


Click here to download a Privilege License Application and Fee Schedule.

Who must obtain a Privilege License?
Anyone who conducts business in the City of Statesville must obtain a Privilege License, except for businesses that are specifically exempted by state or federal statute. If a person maintains a business location in the City, of if that person, either personally or through agents, solicits business within the City limits, picks up or delivers goods within the City limits, or provides services within the City limits, a privilege license must be obtained.

How do I obtain a Privilege License?
Click here to download an application.  You may complete the application and mail it to:
Collections Department
P.O. Box 1111
tatesville, NC    28687
Your Privilege License will be mailed to you.  You may also apply for a Privilege License in person in the Collections Department located at 301 South Center Street from 8 am to 5 pm.
When does the Privilege License expire?
Privilege Licenses are issued on a fiscal year basis and expire on June 30th of each year.  Renewal notices will be sent in May prior to the expiration of your license.
The penalty for engaging in business without obtaining a license is 5% of the amount of the license per month, for a maximum of 25%, with a minimum of $5.00.
Beer and Wine Privilege License
Who must obtain a beer and wine license?
Any business or person selling beer or wine inside the city limits of Statesville.
How do I obtain a beer and wine license?
You must first obtain a license from the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.  Once you have received your license from the State, bring that license to the Collections Department and complete an application.
When does the Beer and Wine license expire?
Beer and wine license expire April 30th of each year.  Renewal notices will be sent out in March prior to the expiration of your license.
If you have any additional questions, please call the Collections Department at (704) 878-3564.